.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Today's News

  • Readers Hotline 6/11/18

    Antiques or junk?
    To the person so concerned about the junk on Spring Valley Road, how about if you just tend to your property and let these people tend to theirs? They’re probably law-abiding taxpayers and they can have anything they want out there. Besides, don’t you know, it’s not junk anymore, it’s restorable antiques. Remember that. Why not just live and let live? That’s all I’ve got to say.

    Dust and mud

  • Tide tennis falls in semis

    BLACKSBURG –– Galax was the final Class 1 team standing in all three disciplines at last week’s boys’ tennis state tournaments. Unfortunately, the Maroon Tide was rewarded with just some pats on the back and a lot of ‘atta-boys.’

  • Challengers seek party nominations in primary

    Staff Report

    Tuesday’s primary election will decide who challenges incumbents in races for a U.S. Senate seat and the U.S. House of Representatives 9th District seat this fall.

    This is a dual primary, meaning that voters will be able to participate in either the Republican or the Democratic election, but not both.

  • Maroon Tide overcomes Auburn in semis, 2-1

    RADFORD –– The two goals scored in the first 14 minutes of the Class 1 boys’ soccer semifinal were double what Galax and Auburn had combined to score against one another in their previous 193 minutes of live play. It took another 60 minutes after that initial flurry, but Eric Escobar made sure that a third straight match between the two Mountain Empire District rivals would not once again require overtime.

  • Soccer parent recovering after crash on way back from championship

    Staff Report

    A wreck on June 9 during the drive back from the Virginia State Soccer Championship in Radford left the parent of one Galax High School player airlifted to Roanoke, according to Virginia State Trooper P.D. Goad.

    Felix Medina, 47, of Galax, was driving a 2004 Jeep Liberty in the southbound lane of Interstate 77 around 2:15 p.m. on Saturday, at the 25.8 mile marker, when he “hydroplaned; it was raining really bad,” said Goad. “He hit a spot, lost control, overturned and came to rest against a [concrete barrier].”

  • No slowing down

    RADFORD –– Observing the Galax boys’ soccer program in action, it becomes indisputable that to these guys, it’s a lot more than just a game.

  • S&S Transporters to expand at Wildwood Commerce Park

    WOODLAWN — Business owners in Carroll County have capitalized on an opportunity for expansion in the Wildwood Commerce Park, with hopes of generating revenue for localities and creating job opportunities for residents of the Twin Counties.

    S&S Transporters, a local trucking company represented by founder W. Scott Frye and senior leader W. Alex Frye, has reached an agreement with the Blue Ridge Crossroads Economic Development Authority (BRCEDA) that makes S&S the first business to locate at Wildwood.

  • Honaker throws out Galax

    Honaker starting pitcher Chris Marshall carried a 9-0 record with two saves into the Class 1 state quarterfinals Tuesday against Galax. Unofficially, the shaggy-headed lefthander registered save No. 3 from 200 feet away as the Tigers nipped the Maroon Tide 2-1 at Felts Park.

  • Bartlett honored with wreath, name on wall

    Staff Report

    RICHMOND — Deputy Curtis A. Bartlett of the Carroll County Sheriff’s Department was remembered at the 2018 Public Safety Wreath Laying & Roll Call in Richmond on June 1.

    The annual event honors Virginia fire, EMS and law enforcement personnel who died in the line of duty in 2017. Bartlett, of Galax, was killed in a March 2017 crash, while responding to fellow officers’ calls for help with a pursuit.

  • Galax firefighters injured

    A house fire on June 3 at 10:30 p.m. on Givens Street left two families displaced and two firefighters with minor injuries, according to Galax Asst. Fire Chief Mark Burnett.

    One firefighter hurt his leg after falling through the floor; the other received minor burns and was treated and released at Twin County Regional Hospital.

    He said the blaze caused severe damage to the interior and exterior of the home. The Red Cross is helping the former occupants.