Register by Friday for Senior Olympics

-A A +A

Events are Sept. 14-15 at several local venues.

By Staff Reports

Seniors 50 and older in the Twin County area have an opportunity to participate in the first-ever Twin County Senior Olympics on Sept. 14 and 15, but time is running out to register.
The deadline for registration is this Friday — Aug. 31.
The recreation departments from Carroll, Galax and Grayson, along with the Hillsville Rotary Club and Carroll Wellness Center, have teamed up to sponsor the Olympics. “They have worked very hard to make this a reality for us,” said Dennis Ward of Hillsville, the event’s organizer.

On Sept. 14, there will be a bike race in Fries, golf at the Galax Municipal Golf Course, bowling at Blue Ridge Lanes in Galax and swimming at the Carroll Wellness Center in Hillsville.
On Sept. 15 at Carroll County High School and the Carroll Wellness Center, the events will be a basketball shoot-out, softball pitch, race-walk, 5K run, tennis, cornhole (bean bag toss), laddergolf, horseshoes and 50-yard dash.
“There is something for most persons of every physical ability,” Ward said.
There will be an opening ceremony at 8:30 a.m. on Sept. 15 and the winner of the 5K race earlier that morning will carry the torch. The games will begin at 9 a.m.
The registration fee is $15 per participant, which will include an Olympics T-shirt, lunch and dinner. The participants can compete in as many events as they would like for the $15, but there is a $15 extra charge for golf and $6 extra for bowling.
The events are for both men and women and will be broken down into five-year age increments. For example: ages 60-64, ages 65-69 and so on.
Gold, silver and bronze medals will be presented to winners in the individual age groups during the closing ceremony.
“The Senior Olympics can become a great annual event for seniors and for our area if people will participate and support it,” Ward said. “Thanks to everyone and I hope you will participate and pass the word.”

• For more information and a registration form, visit carrollcountyva.org/recreation or call (276) 733-6633.