Laurel Fork battles fire

-A A +A
By Christopher Brooke, Reporter



LAUREL FORK — Members of the Laurel Fork, Hillsville and Meadows of Dan fire departments responded to reports of heavy smoke and fire coming from a residence on U.S. 58, west of Dugspur Road, at about 7:18 Friday morning.

Calls about the heavy smoke came into Twin County E-911 from the rental home at 13889 Danville Pike and from a neighbor, said emergency officials. While there were people in the house at the time, they got out safely.

The home, owned by the Brady Living Trust, took significant fire and smoke damage and appeared gutted. Besides the three fire department agencies, the Laurel Fork Rescue Squad assisted at the scene and the Galax Fire Department responded with equipment and manpower to standby at Hillsville's fire station.

A family of five of Rigo Garcia Jr. got out safely but now have nothing to their name except the clothes on their backs, according to home owner Debbie Brady Goad. "They've lost everything," she said. "It's just a matter of starting over." Kitchen items and clothes may be the most important items for the family, she said.

The father wears 34 x 30 pants, large shirts and coats; the mother wears size 14 pants and large shirts and coats; the oldest boy wears 28 x 26 pants, medium to large kids sizes and a large kids coat; the girl wears size 10 kids pants, size 10-12 shirts and coat; and the youngest boy wears size 8 pants, 7-8 shirt, size 12 shoes and a 7-8 coat.

Emergency officials believe that the fire started on the stovetop in the kitchen and then spread to the rest of the home, Carroll County Emergency Services Director Mike Mock said.

Red Cross will also be assisting the family. Donations of items for the family may be dropped off at Brady's Produce at the Southwest Virginia Farmers Market.