A couple is receiving shelter assistance from the American Red Cross after their home was completely destroyed in a fire on Jan. 2, according to Galax Fire Chief David Hankley.
Upon arrival, firefighters saw the two-story, 100-year-old farmhouse was engulfed in flames. Fire was through the roof when the first floor collapsed, and the crew battled the fire for more than two hours.
The home's occupants, Emorey Kelley and his wife, escaped unharmed. The house is owned by John Porter.
The Galax Volunteer Fire Department determined this was a flue fire.