Firefighters have not officially determined the origin, but they believe a wood stove could have caused a fire that destroyed a Carroll County family's home last Thursday.
Carroll Emergency Services Director Joe Roma said the call came in at 10:39 a.m. at a home owned by Phil Reece.
Fire was showing when firefighters arrived, Roma said.
Hillsville Fire Department responded, with assistance from Carroll County EMS, Laurel Fork Fire Department and Laurel Fork Rescue. The Galax Fire Department was on standby at Hillsville's station.