.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Local News

  • $16 million lawsuit filed in Easter Sunday crashes

    UPDATED 4/6/14:

  • Firefighters battle blaze inside Magnolia factory in Hillsville

    HILLSVILLE - Several fire departments worked to extinguish a fire at the Magnolia Manufacturing Company in Hillsville on Saturday, when an unknown cause sparked a fire in two industrial units inside one of the factory's filter houses.
    According to a report from Hillsville Assistant Fire Chief Mike Musser, firefighters were called to Magnolia around 7:30 p.m. to reports of a fire inside the factory.
    Upon arrival, firefighters were told that the fire was in a filter house — a component of the factory.

  • Campbell supports bill to keep training center open

    A bill introduced in the 2015 General Assembly seeks to keep open the Southwest Virginia Training Center in Hillsville and Southeastern Virginia Training Center in Chesapeake for their disabled residents.

    House Bill 1614 was offered Jan. 14 by delegates Jeff Campbell, James Leftwich, Israel O’Quinn and Todd Pillion; and state senators Bill Carrico and Ben Chafin.

  • Police report multiple wrecks in Galax

    The Galax Police Department responded to three separate vehicle crashes Tuesday, two of which occurred on Glendale Road within minutes of one another, and the third involving a civilian vehicle and a police car on Meadow Street.

    The first accident was Tuesday at about 2:13 p.m. According to a police report shared by Capt. James Cox, a 2004 Ford Focus operated by Brook Williams, 23, of Galax, was traveling west on Glendale Road. The vehicle left the left side of the road, struck a ditch and overturned, coming to rest against a tree across from Monta Vista Cemetery.

  • Traffic stop leads to drug charges

    By LARRY CHAMBERS, Staff

    SPARTA, N.C. – A near crash involving an Alleghany County, N.C., deputy sheriff has led to drug charges against a Galax woman and a Hillsville man.

    Alleghany County Sheriff Bryan Maines said that, in the early morning hours of Jan. 7, Deputy C.R. Williams was on routine patrol on U.S. 21 south when a car crossed over the center line into his lane. Williams swerved to miss the oncoming car.

  • New officer would reach out to at-risk youth

    “Youth at risk” is a phrase that’s familiar to parents, teachers and anyone who works with students and young people in general.

    It can mean they’re at risk for anything from drugs and alcohol to not getting critical life skills to unemployment after graduation to general delinquency.

  • Scammer posing as AEP threatens late fees, disconnects

    Local authorities are warning citizens about a potential phone scam in the area, following several reports of a scammer claiming to work for Appalachian Power Company (APCo) or American Electric Power (AEP) and demanding immediate payments from customers over the phone.

  • Single-car wreck on Glendale

    A single-car wreck on Glendale Road on Tuesday afternoon left the vehicle resting against a tree around 2:13 p.m. on Tuesday, January 20 across from Monta Vista Cemetery.

    According to Galax Police Captain James Cox, A 2004 Ford Focus, operated by Brook Williams, 23, of Galax, was traveling west on Glendale Road. The vehicle left the left side of the road, struck a ditch and overturned, said Cox.

    Williams, along with a passenger, Gary Williams, 22 , were both transported to Twin County Regional Hospital with non-life threatening injuries, Cox said.

  • Two-car accident on Glendale damages cars, no people

    A two-automobile wreck on Glendale Road on Galax left no apparent injuries but some damage to both vehicles at about 2:20 p.m. on Tuesday, January 20.

    According to Galax Police Captain James Cox, a 2006 Chrysler Town & Country van, driven by Barbara Knowles, 72, of Meadows of Dan, was entering Glendale Road from Valley Street, when she pulled into the path of a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500, operated by Charles Delp, 54, of Galax.

  • Fire damages Galax garage

    A garage owned by Thelma Russell on Longview Lane in the Baywood area, caught fire around noon on Jan. 15.

    Family members were home, but not in the garage, said Galax Fire Chief David Hankley.

    The small, detached masonry outbuilding had a woodstove inside and was in use as a two-car garage. The roof collapsed at the Galax Fire Department’s arrival, said Hankley.

    He said the woodstove is suspected as the cause.