- Special Sections
- Public Notices
A local church won several competitions at the conference level in April and now needs funds to send its youth to Daytona for nationals.
Galax Pentecostal Holiness Church — off U.S. 58 near the old Papa John’s building — will hold five fundraisers to pay for sending nearly 20 people to the competition, held the week of July 20.
The youth who won competitions in music, drama, dance, singing and other performance categories will advance to the national level. Other students going on the trip to Florida will attend Youth Quest spiritual training.
Upcoming fundraisers include an M&M candy drive starting Sunday. Youth members will pass out mini M&M containers. After eating the M&Ms, people are encouraged to fill the containers — which fit quarters perfectly — with change or dollar bills and return them to the church.
“I heard it on the radio,” said GPHC Pastor Ron Fredericks. “It just sounded like a good idea.”
The next fundraiser will be a lunch special on June 29. Lunch will include a baked potato, salad and sundae bar. The cost is a donation to the church.
An indoor flea market will be held in the gym of the church on July 12. The youth will also serve breakfast and lunch and wash cars in exchange for donations.
On July 13, the youth will again serve lunch at the church gym. Lunch will feature spaghetti, salad, bread, dessert and a drink.
Lunches will be available for dine-in, carry-out or delivery.
Orders for delivery should be placed by July 10 by calling 236-6644 or 233-4742.
A benefit gospel singing is also planned, but a date has not been set.
All of the proceeds will go towards sending the youth to the National Fine Arts Convention and Youth Quest in Florida.
Those participating in the Fine Arts Competition — youth ages 13 to 19 — will be competing for scholarships in a variety of categories being judged on the basis of talent and spiritual impact.
Winners at the conference level, held in Christiansburg last April, include:
• Cody Kenny — Vocal Solo Male (Alpha Division)
• Michael Kenny — Vocal Solo Male (Omega Division)
• Michael Kenny, Cody Kenny, Cody Fulton, Shayla Kenny, Jimmy Simone, Kayla Payne, Elaina Staples, Sierra Cox, Jessica Ward and Jacob Moore — Vocal/Instrumental Ensemble
• Kayla Payne and Sierra Cox — Instrumental Ensemble
• Shayla Kenny — Drama (Audible/Individual/Alpha Division)
• Michael Kenny — Drama (Audible/Individual/Omega Division)
• Cody Kenny — Drama (Inaudible/Pantomime/Individual/Alpha Division)
• Taylor Edwards — Interpretive Dance (Classical/Individual/Alpha Division) and Interpretive Dance (Contemporary /Individual/Alpha Division)
• Taylor Edwards and Sierra Cox — Interpretive Dance (Classical/two or more/Alpha Division)
• Cody Fulton — Rap Solo (Omega Division)
• Cody Fulton, Jimmy Simone and Michael Kenny — Rap (two or more)
Those attending Youth Quest — which includes three days of classes, training and services designed to build spiritual maturity and equip them to be leaders in the church and community — are: Chad and India Taylor, April Taylor, Megan Pickett, Ashley Pickett, Cody Kenny, Michael Kenny, Jessica Ward, Cody Fulton, Shayla Kenny, Jimmy Simone, Kayla Payne, Elaina Staples, Sierra Cox, Taylor Edwards, Jacob Moore, and Trent McMillan.
Adults attending with the youth are: Director Fran Boyles, Perry and Becky Clyburn, John and Barbara Kenny, Tim Kenny and Pastor Ron Fredericks.
“The days will be packed while we are there,” said Fredericks.
Youth will compete in the mornings, attend classes, training and meetings in the afternoons and spend the evenings in worship services. Fredericks said it wouldn’t be uncommon for the youth to not hit the beds until midnight.
The youth group will head out July 20 early in the morning so they have time to settle into their hotel rooms and get some rest before competing Monday morning.
“We usually drive through the night on Sunday, but since some kids have to compete Monday morning, we didn’t think it would be fair.”
The group will stay throughout the week and return home July 25.
• Anyone wishing to donate money or participate in any of the fundraisers can call Fredericks for more information at 236-6644 (church) or 233-4742 (cell).