Police collect evidence in George case

-A A +A

By Shaina Stockton, Staff

Warrants indicate a suspect would face first-degree murder charge

Police suspicion of criminal activity surrounding the death of Desia Rae George, 33, was confirmed last week when autopsy reports indicated an unnatural and suspicious cause of death.
On May 23, George’s body was discovered in a pond alongside Brushy Creek Road in Grayson County, about 10 miles from her home in the town of Fries.
After a youth cutting weeds discovered her cell phone at a nearby pond, police arrived at the scene to find her body in a deep gully only five or six feet from the hardtop road.  
The mother of four had been missing since April 15.
According to Carroll County Sheriff J.B. Gardner, her body appeared to have been dropped off on the roadside. This discovery shifted the case from a missing person hunt to a homicide investigation, and since then police have been busy gathering the evidence needed to piece the rest of the puzzle together.
The badly decomposed body was sent to the state medical examiner’s office in Roanoke, where dental records were used to identify George.
Results of the autopsy confirmed that the cause of George’s death was “unnatural and suspicious,” according to a search warrant filed in Carroll County Circuit Court by Officer S.A. Greer.
Further details surrounding her death were unavailable at press time.
Since finding her body, police have combed over George’s residence and the area where she was found.
According to the warrant, a search was requested in relation to a first-degree murder investigation. That is the charge that a suspect in the case would face.
During a search of George’s home, police seized a piece of the floorboard for evidence. Gardner said on Thursday that the board was being sent away for lab tests, hoping that DNA evidence could shed some light on the events preceding George’s disappearance.
The sheriff would not specify what kind of evidence was found on the floor that was being tested.
The warrant also listed other evidence that police planned to search for, including DNA samples, digital media, cell phones and electronic devices.
The warrant also covered firearms, other weapons or a "weapon of opportunity," meaning any object that could have been used to kill George.
Gardner said police also conducted a search on May 30 of the pond where the body was found, but Gardner discovered no further evidence.
According to the search warrant, George was last seen on April 15 by her father at approximately 2 p.m. at her home. Phone records indicate that the last call from her phone was made at approximately 1:42 p.m. that day.
George’s boyfriend and the father of her youngest child, Matthew Steven Jones, 34, is considered a person of interest in her disappearance. Investigators seized Jones’ vehicle a month ago and processed it for evidence.
Police say that he has refused to talk to them about the case.
 Jones is not charged in the murder case, but he is being held in the Randolph County, N.C., Jail on charges stemming from a bank robbery that occurred in Ramseur, N.C.
Gardner said that investigators planned to speak with Jones again as they gather more evidence.