Plea deal delays trial for man shot by deputies

-A A +A

By Larry Chambers, Staff

INDEPENDENCE — A man charged with assaulting police officers in Grayson County could be working out a plea deal with the court.
Randy Lee Anders, 34, was shot four times by Grayson deputies after he allegedly resisted arrest on a fugitive warrant and pulled a gun on them. Anders had previously made threats to harm law enforcement if he was arrested, police said.

Anders appeared in Grayson County Circuit Court on April 4, but had his case continued until this Friday.
Grayson Commonwealth’s Attorney Doug Vaught said the prosecution and Independence attorney Jonathon Venzie, who represents Anders, were working on a possible plea in the case and didn’t have it ready last week.
Vaught said that if Anders doesn’t accept a plea, the court will set a trial date on Friday.
Anders is charged with two felony counts of assault on a police officer, two counts of obstruction of justice and two counts of brandishing a firearm.
During a preliminary hearing in July 2013, Anders was convicted of two counts of brandishing a firearm and one count of obstruction of justice. He was sentenced to one year in jail on each of the three misdemeanor charges.
Anders is being held at the New River Valley Regional Jail in Dublin without bond.
Grayson County Sheriff  Richard Vaughan said in an earlier interview that Grayson deputies had been looking for Anders since March 2013 for parole violation.
The sheriff’s office received information on April 29, 2013, reporting that Anders was in the Mouth of Wilson area, near his home on Grassy Creek Road.
Deputies received information that Anders was hiding in a neighbor’s home. They found Anders on the floor in the corner of a small room in the basement.
“Anders was given commands by the deputies, but he did not comply,” Vaughan said. “Anders got to his feet and advanced toward the deputies and allegedly pointed a handgun at them. Deputies fired their duty weapons hitting Anders. He was hit four times– one time in the abdomen, hand, shoulder and other area.”
Anders was hospitalized for several weeks recovering from his wounds.
At Vaughan’s request, the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation’s (BCI) from the Wytheville Field Office investigated the shooting and filed the charges against Anders.