Motorcycle driver charged after chase and crash

-A A +A

Brian Workman is still in the hospital after crashing into a police car on April 22.

By Christopher Brooke, Reporter

UPDATED 4/25/13:


HILLSVILLE — A 38-year-old Hillsville man who was injured in an accident on Monday while attempting to flee from police faces two felony charges and several misdemeanors.
Brian Ellison Workman remained hospitalized as of Wednesday in Winston-Salem, N.C., after losing control of a 2003 Kawasaki motorcycle and crashing into a Carroll County deputy’s patrol car.
The motorcycle reportedly exploded on impact.
Workman was trying to get away from three deputies following him after the driver failed to stop at a road checkpoint at Snake Creek and Keno roads. Police reported that he ignored officers’ directions to stop and almost hit one deputy.
Deputies consulted with the commonwealth’s attorney’s office and filed the following charges against Workman:
• possession with intent to distribute methamphetamine, a felony
• felony eluding.
• and several misdemeanors including distruction of property, reckless driving, driving suspended, operating a motorcycle without the endorsement, disregarding officers at a traffic checkpoint and driving without registration.


HILLSVILLE — A 38-year-old Hillsville man was flown out by helicopter for treatment of injuries Monday afternoon after he failed to stop at a checkpoint manned by Carroll deputies on Snake Creek Road and led police on a chase that ended with a crash and fire.
Sgt. Scott Todd of the Virginia State Police identified the man as Brian Ellison Workman, 38. He wrecked a 2003 Kawasaki motorcycle right at the Hillsville town limits by Fairview Church.
The checkpoint was set up at the intersection of Snake Creek and Keno roads.

At about 1:37 p.m., the driver of the motorcycle went through the checkpoint, disregarding Sgt. Bobby Lyons signals to stop and almost striking him, according to law enforcement officials.
“The motorcycle went past the deputy, stopped, [the driver] looked at the deputy and then sped off,” Carroll Sheriff J.B. Gardner said.
Lyons and deputies Justin Haga and Billy Johnson chased Workman west on Snake Creek toward Hillsville, but he did not stop, the sheriff said. Police estimated that Workman had gotten up to speeds of 110 mph during the pursuit.
After about eight miles, the motorcycle entered the curve at the town limits and Workman lost control of the Kawasaki, ran off the road and ran into the front of a stationary Carroll Sheriff’s Office patrol car parked off the roadway, Todd said.
Gardner said the motorcycle burst into flames, “which also burned the front of the marked patrol unit.”
First responders extinguished the flames from the driver using their jackets and then a fire extinguisher when it became available, the sheriff said.
At the time when Workman lost control and struck the car, the bike might have been going about 60 mph, police said.
The extent of Workman’s injuries was not immediately clear. He was transported to a landing zone set up at Carroll County High School by Carroll Fire-Rescue. He was flown to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, N.C.
Todd charged Workman with reckless driving, and Carroll deputies also planned to charge Workman in connection with the chase, after consulting with the commonwealth’s attorney.
It appears that Workman had what appeared to be methamphetamine on him at the time of the pursuit, Gardner said.