- Special Sections
- Public Notices
HILLSVILLE — Organizers of the Carroll County Fair hope the newest homegrown attraction will amaze and amuse attendees.
“Come explore your way through our new corn maze and see if you can figure out the design,” urges the fair’s website. “The maze will be located on top of the hill across from the fairgrounds.”
Hint: The design relates to a common fair attraction, but its image in the field will be the only example of one this year, because the fair will not feature any midway rides.
Quality carnival rides want a monetary guarantee far greater than fair organizers feel comfortable with.
Organizers will provide transportation the four-tenths of a mile up the hill to the corn maze and back.
“People might enjoy the ride as much as the maze. It’s as good a view as any at the exit,” said Kevin Semones, fair chairman, who noted that people will be able to look back down at the fairgrounds, as well as the 90-plus acres of the recreation park.
Plus, when they get to the top of the hill, they’ll be greeted with a view of three acres of corn.
Though its been a challenging growing year, much of the corn towered over Semones when he went to check it out Aug. 11. The nine-foot-high stalks may lead him to abandon his plan of monitoring the maze from a lift for lost people, because now he thinks the height of the corn will obscure the people even from above.
The maze will open at 5 p.m. Aug. 24-26. It will be open until 9 p.m. on Friday and until 6 p.m. Sunday.
Other fair activities include:
• a horse shoe tournament Aug. 24-27.
• chainsaw carving demonstrations by Brad Carico.
• a bench show and treeing contest with master of hounds Marty Dalton, sponsored by the Carroll County Coon Club, with sign-in time beginning 5:45 p.m. on Aug. 25.
• Farm Bureau Young Farmers Ag Day for fifth grade students in Carroll County Aug. 26.
• Ag Education Days for second and third grades to introduce students to local agriculture from Aug. 23-25.
• storytelling by Vicky Town.
• livestock shows — Youth Dairy and Beef Cattle Aug. 24; Youth Meat Goat and Youth Dairy Goad Shows, Open Dairy Goat Show, Goat Milking Contest and Obstacle Course, Aug. 26; Youth Market Lamb Show and Commercial Ewe Show, Aug. 27.
• pet show Aug. 27 with classes for best costume, cleanest, prettiest, largest, smallest, most unusual, best trick and pet that looks most like exhibitor.
• horse show
• lawn mower races Aug. 26 at 7 p.m.
• Miss Carroll County Fair, Aug. 25 at 7 p.m.
• horse pull Aug 27 at 7 p.m.
• gospel music Aug. 28 starting at 2 p.m. featuring Saved by Grace, Hillsville Pentecostal Holiness Church Choir and The Cox Brothers and Family.
• recipe contest, exhibits, barnyard, music and more staple fair events.
“We want to show why ag’s so important to the economy in the area, open their eyes up to ag,” Semones said about the fair’s outreach, especially to the younger attendees.
Organizers stressed there will be only one fee at the gate in order to get in and enjoy the activities inside.
Aug. 24 is half-price day, when those age 11 and older get in for $5 and those a 10 and younger get in free. On Aug. 25-28, the entry fee for those 11 and older is $10. Children 10 and younger still get in free. For more information, go to carrollcountyvafair.org.