- Special Sections
- Public Notices
HoustonFest 2014 celebrates the life, music and community service of banjo player, firefighter
and soldier Houston Caldwell, who died in a motorcycle crash in 2010. It will be held May 2-3 in Felts Park in Galax. Local and nationally known bands will perform Friday and Saturday in Galax’s Felts Park. Proceeds benefit youth music scholarships and the Galax Fire Department. Performers scheduled to appear include:
• Friday, starting at 1 p.m. — Wolfe Brothers, White Top Mountain Band, Jonny & The Jambusters, Loose Strings, Dogwood & Holly, Sierra Hull, Jeff Little Trio, Balsam Range, Rhythm-N-Motion Cloggers, Ralph Stanley
Opening Ceremony is at 6 p.m. Friday
• Saturday, starting at 11 a.m. — “Close Kin: Our Roots Run Deep” Youth Project, Generation Bluegrass Youth Project, The Snyder Family, Wayne Henderson & Virginia Luthier Band, The Church Sisters, Blue Highway, Boxcars, Meyer Family Band, Rhythm-N-Motion Cloggers, The Whites, Lonesome River Band, Banjo Jubilation (with Sammy Shelor, Jens Kruger, Mark Johnson and The Kruger Brothers.)
Opening Ceremony is at 6 p.m. Saturday, followed by scholarship awards.
• Friday, starting at 4 p.m. — White Top Mountain Band, Jonny & The Jambusters, Dogwood & Holly
• Saturday, starting at 11 a.m. — Mountain Park Oldtime Band, Rhythm-N-Motion Cloggers, Stacey Grubb Band, Cox & Company, Mark Johnson & Emory Lester, New Cabin Creek Boys, Jesse Gregory & Faultline
Jon Lohman workshop is at 12:45 p.m. Saturday.
CAMP HOUSTON YOUTH STAGE
• Friday, starting at 2 p.m. — Blackberries, Gravel Road, Sigmon Stringers, Close Kin Youth Project, Loose Strings
Jon Lohman workshop is at 3:50 p.m. Friday. “I Remember Houston.”
• Saturday, starting at Noon — Pike City, Kitty & The Stray Cats, Ashe Co. JAM Band, Silas Powell Review, Houston Caldwell Scholarship Winners Showcase, Ashe Breeze, Blackberries, Houston’s Kids on Bluegrass, New Cabin Creek Boys