Grayson zoning ordiance questioned

-A A +A

Grayson County citizens, are you aware of 3.1-4.6 in the county zoning ordinance?
“...Right-of-way which is fifty (50) feet or greater in width, or fifty (50) feet from the centerline of any street which has a right-of-way of less than fifty (50) feet, whichever is greater.
One principal building may be constructed on a lot having a dedicated right-of-way of not less than forty feet providing ingress and egress to a dedicated recorded public street or thoroughfare.”
As you can see, the people that owns land or a house in Grayson County that has a right-of-way to their property or house of less than 40 feet may never be able to build on their property, and it will be very unlikely we’ll sell it either. When it’s on the market, are you just going to tell the person interested in it, “by the way, there isn’t a 40-foot right-of-way, so you won’t be able to build anything on this land?”
No one will be able to pay for a building permit, which benefits the county, to build on our own property because of 40 feet!
I’m just a concerned citizen of Grayson County. I know we need change.
Brandon Martin
Mouth of Wilson

Editor’s note:
There are a few things to clarify and consider in this letter:
• Mr. Martin writes about two separate parts of the ordinance. Article 3.1-4 (first paragraph) relates to setbacks from the street, not required right-of-way. The entire language was not given for Article 3.1-4, which is listed in the Zoning District section of the ordinance.
• Article 4.6 references the required access for principal buildings. The letter quotes only one of four possible qualifiers for constructing a principal building. It leaves out the other three qualifiers which enable most properties to build principal structures. This includes a clause for family divisions, approved subdivisions and all parcels that were created prior to zoning.
• Article 4.6 has evolved over the last five years and continues to be worked on. Whereas a strict 100 feet of road frontage used to be a requirement, the planning commission revised the ordinance in 2010 to accommodate those properties with road access issues and to encourage new land development/parcel divisions to meet minimum standards necessary for emergency vehicle access and to minimize property disputes that often arise out of unclear right-of-ways between those who are traveling across property and those who are being traveled upon.
• Since July 2013, the planning commission has been working on further improvements to the language in Article 4.6. The goal for the language revision is to accommodate those properties without legally deeded right-of-way of sufficient width. Accounting for the needs of emergency vehicle access while at the same time considering access of  sufficient width to achieve land grading/access maintenance, safe entrances to highways and other issues too numerous to mention are just some of the factors being considered.
• The planning commission plans to share the proposed language of Article 4.6 with the public this fall. The Department of Planning & Community Development encourages anyone with questions regarding their property and ability to build, or questions about the ordinances, to contact (276) 773-2471, or to visit the department link at www.graysongovernment.com.