- Special Sections
- Public Notices
INDEPENDENCE — Indictments against five more suspects have been unsealed and arrests made by the Grayson County Sheriff’s Department.
The Grayson County Circuit Court grand jury met April 25 and returned several sealed indictments.
The charges were only made public after arrests were made.
An indictment is only a formal charge, not a finding of guilt.
Those indicted were:
• Robert Ray McGrady of Mouth of Wilson — for financial exploitation of a mentally incapacitated person. He is accused of taking items valued at more than $200. He was also indicted for making a false statement to obtain a certificate of title.
Grayson Sheriff Richard Vaughan said that McGrady died of a self-infliced gunshot wound last week.
• Daniel Lee Lineberry, 35, of Galax — for conspiracy to sell, give or distribute a schedule III controlled substance (Suboxone).
• Michael Ryan Ward, 29, of Portsmouth — for obtaining property by fraud.
• Tony Griffin Cottrell Jr., 45, of Galax — for possession of a schedule II controlled substance with intent to distribute (Percocet); conspiracy to sell, give or distribute a schedule II controlled substance (Percocet); petit larceny, third offense.
• James Edward Lawrence, 31, of Galax — for possession of a firearm after having been convicted of a felony; possession of ammunition after having been convicted of a felony.