- Special Sections
- Public Notices
HILLSVILLE — The 2014 Galax/Carroll Relay for Life will be held on July 25-26 at Carroll County High School.
Preceding the main event, a Survivor’s Banquet will be held to honor the area’s cancer survivors and their caregivers on July 23, at the Hillsville First United Methodist Church Fellowship Hall from 4-6 p.m. The church is located at 225 Fulcher Street in Hillsville, across the road from Trinity Mission and up the hill behind the Hillsville Volunteer Fire Department.
“Cancer survival and wiping out cancer is why we relay. We hope all our survivors and caregivers in Galax and Carroll County will join us for this celebration in their honor,” said Judy Beasley, one of the relay organizers.
The meal will be provided by a number of local restaurants, businesses and individuals. The evening will also include door prizes, and entertainment by Mark Horton, the praise band from Cornerstone Church, and others.
Following the opening ceremonies at 6 p.m. on July 25, cancer survivors will be invited to walk the first lap, followed by a caregivers’ lap to honor those who supported their family and friends affected by cancer.
The event will continue throughout the night with entertainment, concessions, and fun activities. The walk ends at 1 a.m. on July 26.
This year, the Galax/Carroll Relay’s theme is “County Fair,” and tent sites will be decorated accordingly, Beasley said.
Teams will have fair-related activities at campsites and will be selling food items such as BBQ sandwiches, hotdogs, BBQ chicken, walking tacos, grilled corn, baked beans, nachos with cheese, popcorn, chips, drinks, water, tea, lemonade, cobblers, cookies, cupcakes, baked goods and more.
Many teams also have cancer awareness T-shirts and other items for sale. There will also be tickets available for drawings for items such as free groceries and a quilt made of past Relay for Life T-shirts. Drawings for these will be held throughout the night.
There will be bouncy houses and face painting for the children. Entertainment will be provided by DJ Dave & Special K, along with special live music throughout the night.
Luminaria may be purchased for $5 for white bags, $25 for gold bags or $35 for tiki torches by calling Judy Beasley at (276) 733-8008, by visiting www.relayforlife.org/galaxcarrollva, or by attending the Relay for Life Event on July 25.
For more information on either of these events, contact Beasley.
Relay for Life 2014 schedule of events:
• 5 p.m. — Survivor registration begins
• 6 p.m. — Opening ceremonies – welcome, opening prayer, Pledge of Allegiance, The National Anthem, and a survivor speech by Mark Horton
• 6:30 p.m. — Survivor and caregiver laps
• 6:45 p.m. — Team laps, parade of team floats and float judging
• 7 p.m. — Mac Martin performs
• 7:15 p.m. — Water balloon toss
• 7:15 p.m. — Judging of campsites will begin
• 7:30 p.m. — Car show and race to recovery, Teams begin runway relay
• 8 p.m. — All Came As One performs
• 8:30 p.m. — Runway relay judging
• 8:45 p.m. — Ballet
• 9 p.m. — Unforgiven performs
• 9:30 p.m. — Begin lighting luminary bags
• 10 p.m. — Begin luminary ceremony (Changing of the Guard at the table of the unknown, reading of the names, and prayer)
• 10:30 p.m. — “Peek-A-Boob” contest (to promote breast cancer awareness), and “Look Good Feel Better” program Miss-Ter Relay contest
• 11 p.m. — Dance music by DJ
• 1 a.m. — Read totals for teams, closing ceremonies