- Special Sections
- Public Notices
FRIES — The Fries Volunteer Fire Department, organizers of the 46th Annual Fries Fiddlers Convention, have released the winners of the event, held earlier this month at the town’s ball field.
Tony Hicks won the Jesse Lovell Memorial Trophy for best youth guitar.
Victor Furtado won the Houston Caldwell Memorial Trophy for best all-around youth performer.
Tommy Nichols won the Henry Whitter Memorial Trophy for best all-around performer.
Youth Competition Winners
(beginning with first place)
• Old-Time Fiddle — Tanner Henson, Kitty Amarl, Mackenzie Maitland
• Bluegrass Fiddle — Jordan King, Meagan King
• Old-Time Banjo — Lulu Furtado, Robbie Anders
• Bluegrass Banjo — David Christly, Blake Lanning, Zeb Hicks
• Mandolin — Bailey Stoneman, Erin Everett
• Guitar — Tony Hicks, Ethan Ayers, Victor Furtado
• Youth Band — Pike City Band
• 16 and Under Dance — Lulu Furtado, Victor Furtado, Alisha Bemis, Allyson Bemis, Carter Bennett
Adult Competition Winners
(beginning with first place)
• Guitar — Carver of Winston Salem, N.C.; Gerald Anderson of Troutdale; Garry Dalton of Draper; Joshua David of Woodlawn; Mike Harrison of Harrisonburg
• Old-Time Fiddle — Erynn Marshall of Galax; Jerry Correll of Elk Creek; Bosco Takaki of Kyoto, Japan; Mac Traynham of Willis; Richard Bowman of Mount Airy, N.C.
• Bluegrass Fiddle — Rebekah Bolt, Marlon Dean, Debbie Gitlin, Spencer Strickland, Rodney Alexander (Hometowns were not available for this category)
• Old-Time Banjo — Brien Fain of Stuart; Andy Sayers of Rural Retreat; Trish Fore of Galax; Marsha Todd of Mount Airy, N.C.; Eric Hill of Fries
• Mandolin — Conner; Adam McPeak of Max Meadows; Rodney Hodges of Galax; Terry Keene of Barren Springs; Steve Wilson of Dublin
• Autoharp — JoAnn Redd of Galax; Vickie Boyd of Laurel Fork; Curtis Bond of Fries; Virgil Adams of Fries; Tom Gerni of Amherst County
• Folk Song — Johnny Williams of Danville; Tommy Nichols of Mount Airy, N.C.; Garry Dalton of Draper; Elizabeth Vaughan of Fries; Donna Correll of Elk Creek
• Dulcimer — Dick Lamb; Phyllis Gaskins of Port Republic; Donna Correll of Elk Creek; Jean Callison of Mouth of Wilson; David Parks of Dublin
• Dobro — Marvin Farmer of Hillsville; Dwayne Eller of Millers Creek, N.C.; Dylan Isom of Fries; Jackie Dunevant of Hillsville; James Grubb of Collinsville, Tex.
• Bass Fiddle — David Christly of Wytheville; Tommy Nichols of Mount Airy, N.C.; David Campbell of West Jefferson, N.C.; Lloyd Richardson of High Point, N.C.; Lulu Furtado of Front Royal
• Bluegrass Banjo — Steve Christly of Wytheville; Gary Webb of Max Meadows; Timothy Mills of Riner; Sam Bolt of Willis; Cody McGuire of Galax
• Dance (17 and Over) — Samantha Wilhelmi of Christiansburg; Stephanie Sullivan of Fries; Dawson McRay of Crockett; Amanda Funk of Fries; Curtis Bond of Fries
• Old-Time Band — Fries Wildcats Old Time Band; Brush Creek Wildcats; Wreakin Havoc Mountain Daredevils; The Iron Mountain Ridgerunners; Japanese Beetles
• Bluegrass Band — Bluegrass; Adam McPeak and Mountain Thunder; New Ridge Bluegrass; Hard Times; Highway 52