- Special Sections
- Public Notices
The Fries Volunteer Fire Department recently announced the winners of the 42nd Annual Old Time Fiddlers’ and Bluegrass Convention, held Aug. 15-16.
The best all-around performer, and winner of the Henry Whitter Award, was Billy W. Bourne of Fries.
Winners include, first through fifth:
• Guitar — Gerald Anderson of Troutdale, Stanley Widner of Hillsville, Gary Lowery of Marion, Carl P. Brickley of Saltville and Eddie Day of Rural Hall, N.C.
• Old-Time Fiddle — Brian Grimm of Independence, Adrian Powell of Lexington, Ky., Richard Bowman of Ararat, Nancy Sluys of Westfield, N.C., and Justin Jackson of Austinville.
• Bluegrass Fiddle — Montana Young of Stuart, Jordan Blevins of Whitetop, Butch Barker of Lansing, N.C., Veronica Randolph of Front Royal and Kilby Spencer of Mouth of Wilson.
• Old-Time Banjo — Allen Rutherford of Independence, Trish Fore of Lowgap, N.C., Mac Traynham of Willis, Sara H. Garbade of Mouth of Wilson and Cody Jackson of Austinville.
• Mandolin — Ronnie Davis of Austinville, Allen McMillian of Cana, Bill Bryant of Austinville, Lewis Prichard of St. Albans, W.Va., and Dalton Edwards of Newland, N.C.
• Autoharp — Jo Ann Redd of Galax, Glenna Anderson of Christiansburg, Edward Anderson of Christiansburg, Bill Birchfield of Roan Mountain, Tenn., and Stan Spencer of Stuart.
• Folk Song — Jessie Lovell of Fries, Elizabeth Vaughan of Fries, Loyd Richardson of Warrensville, N.C., Audrey Sams of Dublin and Erica Weiss of Cambridge, Mass.
• Dulcimer — BIN Blackwell of Hampton, Dick Lamb of Keezletown, Tom Gerni of Madison Heights and David Parks of Dublin.
• Dobro — Billy Bourne of Fries, Tenny Kenny, and Maggie Anderson of Woodlawn.
• Bass Fiddle — Marty Miller of Dobson, N.C., David Chrisley of Wytheville, Bill Sluys of Westfield, N.C., Loyd Richardson of Warrensfield, N.C., and Barbara Bowman of Ararat.
• Bluegrass Banjo — Don McCraw of Wytheville, Cody McGuire of Independence, Henry Webb of Pulaski, Timmy Mills of Riner and Huston Caudell of Galax.
• Dance (16 and Over) — Kenny Monahan of lvanhoe, Justin Jackson of Austinville, Shane Bond of Fries, John Perry of Independence and Susan Aske of Colfax, N.C.
• Old-Time Bands — The Pilot Mountain Bobcats of Westfield, N.C., Grayson County Ramblers of Mouth of Wilson, Buffalo Mountain Boomers of Willis and Old Number 6 of Independence.
• Bluegrass Bands — Milestone of Dobson, N.C., Rakestraw Express of Riner, Creek Junction of Warrensville, N.C., Loose Strings of Galax and Time Lords of Rural Hall, N.C.
Youth winners include, first through fifth:
• Youth Guitar — Joseph Burcham of Ashburn, Monica Santos of Sparta, N.C., Chip Moyer of Sparta, N.C., and Jesse Allen of Laurel Fork.
• Youth Clawhammer Banjo — Jarrett Boyd of Laurel Fork and Miguel Villarreal of Glade Valley, N.C.
• Youth Bluegrass Banjo — Stephanie Gibson of Galax and David Chrisley of Wytheville.
• Youth Mandolin — Adam McPeak of Max Meadows, James Hall of Sparta, N.C., and Jacob Thomas of Cana.
• Youth Bluegrass Fiddle — Marion Dean of Independence, Rose Randolph of Front Royal, Kati Jo Taylor of Barren Springs, Courtney Robb of Fries and Laurel Brook.
• Youth Old-Time Fiddle — Veronica Randolph of Front Royal, Timothy Hale of Galax, Kitty Amaral of Elk Creek, Sara Bobbitt of Woodlawn and Abbey Hensley of Elk Creek.
• Youth Dance (16 and under) — Lindsey Jackson of Austinville, Stephanie Gibson of Galax, Rose Randolph of Front Royal, Dawson McKay of Crockett and Steven Dunford of Fries.