.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Fire damages home

-A A +A
By

HILLSVILLE — A family pet was lost in a house fire on Christmas Day in Hillsville, according to David Young of the Hillsville Volunteer Fire Department.

The HVFD was called out to 200 Virginia Street the afternoon of Dec. 25 after Michael Howlett passed the home and called 911 to report that smoke was coming out of it.

When Hillsville police arrived on the scene, they let the fire department know that the house was on fire and that the family was out — but there were three pets still in the home.

Young said a female dog, Kali, lost her life.

Homeowner Wilma Howlett’s grandson was reportedly living in the house with his wife, but were away visiting family for Christmas.

Young said the grandson told him that the only thing that could have started the fire in the back room may have been a cigarette that wasn’t put out.

The fire was contained to the inside, but the house sustained heavy internal fire and smoke damage.