.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Fire causes $100,000 damage to garage

-A A +A

By SHAINA STOCKTON
Staff

ENNICE, N.C. — The Galax Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire at Poole’s Garage in the Glade Creek community of North Carolina on Oct. 31.
According to Galax Fire Chief David Hankley, an ignited gas tank caused the accidental blaze that ultimately led to heavy structural damage.
The garage owner reported that the fire began after he accidentally dropped a gas tank while removing it from a pickup truck. A spark then ignited the fuel, which first spread to the truck and then the structure.
The owner was able to escape from the garage.
Hankley estimated damages in the $100,000 range for both the garage’s structure and contents. The fire reportedly burned through the ceiling into the attic, which caused the roof to partially collapse due to failed engineering of the trusses.
Hankley said it took approximately one hour to extinguish the flames. Glade Creek and Galax firefighters were both at the scene, assisted by the Sparta-Alleghany and Cherry Lane departments.