Felony case involves deputy's shooting

-A A +A

By Larry Chambers, Staff

INDEPENDENCE — A Grayson County woman pleaded guilty Feb. 7 in Grayson County Circuit Court to a charge that resulted from the shooting of a Grayson County deputy sheriff in June 2012.
Crystal Sue Gooslin-Wheatley, 48, pleaded guilty to one count of possession of ammunition after having been convicted of a felony.

Judge Jimmy Turk sentenced Wheatley to two years in prison. He suspended 15 months of the sentence, with nine months to serve. After her release, she will be placed on probation for two years. She was also given credit for time already served in jail, but it was not revealed how many days she would be credited.
According to evidence presented during her trial, various amounts of ammunition were found in a search of Gooslin-Wheatley’s home after the shooting.
Gooslin-Wheatley was led into the Grayson County Courthouse prior to her sentencing last Friday wearing handcuffs. She is reportedly being held in the New River Valley Regional Jail in Dublin on four unrelated charges. According to the jail website, she is charged with altering or forging registration of license plates, fraud (obtaining more than $200 by false pretenses), perjury (false affidavit to DMV matters) and obtaining/possessing license, ID, registration, etc. when not entitled.
Independence attorney Brandon Boyles represented Gooslin-Wheatley at the trial.
Her husband, Gary Frank Wheatley, 46, was found guilty in Grayson County Circuit Court during his trial on May 17, 2013, of three charges: one count of attempted first-degree murder of Deputy Doug Waller, one count of aggravated malicious wounding and one count of use of a deadly weapon in the commission of a felony. He was sentenced to 11 years in prison.
During the trial, Waller told the court that he was dispatched to a domestic violence call at the home of Gary Wheatley and Crystal Sue Gooslin-Wheatley at 3016 Skyline Highway in the Fairview community at around 10:45 p.m. on June 26, 2012.
Waller said deputies had been to the house numerous times on similar calls.
Deputy Kevin Watson was with Waller on the scene.
Waller said he was walking up on the porch and approached the front door, which was open, when he saw Gary Wheatley pointing a gun at him, holding it in both hands.
Waller said he stepped back and ordered Wheatley two or three times to drop the weapon. He said Wheatley peered around the side of the door again, and fired three shots through the screen door at Waller, with one of the bullets striking the deputy in his lower abdomen, near the bottom of his bulletproof vest.
Waller said Watson was behind him and fired several shots at the door, then helped him to find cover behind a pickup truck parked in the driveway.
According to Waller, Wheatley came out of the house with his hands raised, and Gooslin-Wheatley following him.
Watson testified that he was behind Waller when he heard Waller telling someone to put the gun down, and later heard the gunshots and saw the deputy fall backwards. He said he didn’t fire his weapon until he heard the gunshots, then he fired seven shots toward the front door of the home. He said he couldn’t see inside the home.
Gary Wheatley testified that he was intending to defend his home from an intruder prior to the shooting.
According to reports, Gary Wheatley is still being held in the New River Valley Regional Jail. He has filed an appeal of his convictions to the Virginia Court of Appeals.
Waller has recovered from his wound and has since returned to active duty with the sheriff’s office.
He has filed a $500,000 civil lawsuit against the Wheatleys. No trial date has been set in the case.