- Special Sections
- Public Notices
DUGSPUR — Smoke alarms went off in a home Dec. 17 on Panther Creek Road, just after parents put their child to bed, according to Hillsville Fire Department officials.
Investigating the reason for the alarms in the single-wide trailer, members of the Ayers family looked in the bathroom and discovered a wall inside burning.
The flames were “going up the wall,” Richard Ayers told authorities.
The three family members made it outside without injury and then called the fire department.
The alarm came in at approximately 10:10 p.m. and a unit arrived on the scene within just a few minutes, according to firefighters. The blaze at home at 21 Panther Creek spread quickly.
Hillsville had assistance from the Laurel Fork and Willis fire departments with about 30 firefighters on the scene.
The cause of the fire was not immediately known.
The home was a complete loss and the occupants lost everything and had no insurance. They stayed with family in the area.
The Red Cross is providing the family with financial assistance to help with meals and clothing, and will continue to coordinate recovery assistance, according to Amy Whittaker, spokeswoman for the American Red Cross.
The home belonged to Gaye Nichols.