.....Advertisement.....
.....Advertisement.....

Family loses home to fire

-A A +A

Local church collecting donations for family of four in Galax

By Brian Funk, Editor

The Galax Volunteer Fire Department and a local church are helping a family of four that lost everything they owned, including their home, the day before Thanksgiving.

Previous
Play
Next

The department responded to a structure fire at 10:48 a.m. on Nov. 22, at 100 Hillcrest Lane Lot 7.

“Members arrived to find a fully involved mobile home with the wind driven fire spreading to a neighboring residence,” according to a fire department report.

The department sent 28 firefighters and six pieces of equipment. Firefighters used two lines to extinguish the residence where the fire originated and the other structure. The fire was brought under control in 20 minutes, but firefighters remained on scene for another 45 minutes.

“One firefighter suffered minor burns and was treated and released” from Twin County Regional Hospital, the report said. “The residence was a total loss.”

The family ranged in age from an 8 months to 55 years. The Red Cross has been notified, the fire department reported, and the family is staying in another mobile home in the park temporarily.

“Christ Chapel Church is stepping up as home base for the relief efforts,” the department said in a social media post after the fire.

The church began accepting donations Sunday, and will continue to do so. Needed items include blankets, towels, kitchen items, pots, pans, plates and glasses. “Walmart Gift Cards are a good choice,” the fire department said.

Clothing sizes needed are:

• Women’s 2XL shirts and sweatshirts, XL sweatpants;

• Men’s XL shirts and 36X32 pants;

• Boy’s size 3T;

• Baby girl’s size 18 months.

Christ Chapel is at 64 Bee Line Drive in Galax. “It is probably best to call the church before trying to drop items off. They are not staffed all the time,” the fire department said.

The church can be reached by calling (276) 237-4556 or visiting their Facebook page, ChristChapelGalax.

“This is especially tragic at Thanksgiving, but we are very thankful that the family made it out of the residence,” the fire department said in a social media post. “Our community is amazing at showing support for our neighbors in need, and we trust this event will be no different.”