- Special Sections
- Public Notices
By SHAINA STOCKTON
The Galax Fire Department responded to a house fire on Cricket Lane in the Oldtown Community of Grayson County on the afternoon of Dec. 30.
The home, rented by the immediate and extended family of Andres and Christy Mendoza, was completely destroyed by the fire, according to Galax Fire Chief David Hankley.
The home was occupied by seven adults, a three-year-old child and a two-week-old infant.
In addition to the extreme damage done to the home, most if not all of the family’s possessions were destroyed, Hankley said.
The family rented the home from owner Conley Kyle of Galax.
According to Hankley, no cause or specific origin has yet been determined for the fire, which appears to have started in the living room area.
The department received assistance from the Independence Fire Department at the scene.
The family was assisted by the American Red Cross.
The Galax Hope House is taking donations for the family. Donations can be made to the Hope House, located on 408 W. Center St. in Galax; to Jill Burcham of P.U.S.H. Ministries at Rooftop of Virginia, 206 N. Main St., Galax; or to Angela Crowder at Corinthian Hair Salon, 206 N. Main St., Galax.
• For more information, contact Hope House Executive Director Tammy Harmon at 236-7573.