Dove trial date set in Grayson

-A A +A
By Ben Bomberger, Reporter

INDEPENDENCE — A trial date for a Galax man charged with seven felony counts of taking indecent liberties with a child has been set for Nov. 20 at 9 a.m. in Grayson Circuit Court.

In July 2007, a Grayson grand jury indicted David Dove, 47, of Cherry Street in Galax, with the seven felony counts.

A capias was issued for Dove’s arrest that same month and he made his first appearance before Grayson Circuit Court Judge Brett Geisler on Aug. 3, 2007.

A $50,000 secured bond was issued for Dove, which mandated he could not leave the state, must submit to random drug and alcohol tests and cannot have any contact with the victim or the victim’s family.

Because Dove operates a business that sometimes requires him to go to North Carolina, Geisler allowed him to leave the state only when his business required it.

On July 11, Dove appeared before Geisler again, this time to set the date for his trial.

The indictments allege the incidents occurred on three separate occasions — three charges on Dec. 2, 2006, and two each on Feb. 17-18, 2007.

According to Virginia State Police, the alleged victim was 16 at the time of the 2006 charges and 17 when the more recent incidents were alleged to have occurred.

Attorney Nathan Lyons of Hillsville will represent Dove.

Dove also faced three felony counts of taking indecent liberties with a child in Chesapeake — but was later acquitted of each.

In Aug. 2007, a grand jury in Chesapeake indicted Dove on the three charges. A Virginia State Police investigation showed the three cases in Chesapeake involved the same female.

The youth lived in the Tidewater area of Virginia. Dove also lived in that area before moving to Galax.

According to Chesapeake Circuit Court, one of the offenses there allegedly occurred on Dec. 1 2006 — the day before state police say three of the offenses occurred in Grayson County.

The other two Chesapeake offenses are alleged to have occurred on March 3, 2006.

According to court records all three Chesapeake charges were dismissed on April 14.