- Special Sections
- Public Notices
HILLSVILLE — The Carroll County grand jury issued 81 indictments while meeting Monday, including formal charges against a 31-year-old Woodlawn man accused of murder and a 23-year-old Woodlawn man accused of an attempted carjacking in Galax.
Eight indictments were sealed by the court, until warrants could be served.
An indictment is a formal charge, not a finding of guilt.
Jesse James Owens was formally charged with first-degree murder of Delphie Willey, use of a firearm in a felony, possession of a firearm after being convicted of a felony and possession of ammunition after being convicted of a felony.
Testimony in Owens’ preliminary hearing on Sept. 10 indicated that he had become angry with his girlfriend, Willey, for dancing with another man at a Feb. 8 get-together at Owens’ home in Woodlawn. He is accused of shooting her in the head.
Dustin Lee Alley was indicted on charges of attempted carjacking of a motor vehicle from Jessie Willard Spencer, malicious wounding and grand larceny of a 2000 Dodge Dakota belonging to Garnett Alan Price.
Alley was charged by Galax police on Aug. 10, after they received a report of a Dodge Dakota stolen from Blue Ridge Tobacco in Galax. The vehicle’s owner had been inside the shop at the time.
Alley reportedly fled the scene in the truck on U.S. 58/East Stuart Drive, turned on Cranberry Road and then onto Glendale Road.
He then lost control of the vehicle and crashed just outside of the city limits, police said.
Police said that, after crawling out of the crashed truck, Alley spotted a vehicle that had stopped in the middle of the road after seeing the accident.
According to Delp, Alley ran to the car, opened the passenger-side door and began assaulting the 91-year-old male driver in an attempt to steal his vehicle.
Alley reportedly ran away after the driver resisted by pressing a car key against Alley’s throat to fight him off.
Isaac Charles Edwards was indicted on charges of concealing evidence, conspiracy to commit statutory burglary at the home of Coolidge Beasley, being an accessory to statutory burglary, conspiracy to commit grand larceny and being an accessory to grand larceny.
According to the indictment, Edwards is accused of concealing, altering or destroying “an item of physical evidence with the intent to delay, impede, obstruct, prevent or hinder the investigation, apprehension, prosecution, conviction or punishment of a person regarding a felony offense.”
Others indicted Sept. 16 include:
• Autumn Payge Boyd - perjury
• Jessie Allen Chance - possession of methamphetamine, a schedule II drug; possession of precursors to manufacture methamphetamine; distribution of 227 grams or more of a meth mixture; manufacture of meth
• Maggie Beth Doss - possession of meth
• Steven Shawn Dunford - possession of Oxymorphone, a schedule II drug
• Nathaniel S. Edwards - statutory burglary from Roland Jones; grand larceny
• Kevin Wayne Gravely - statutory burglary from the home of Ruby Eastridge; grand larceny (four counts)
• Richard Arnold Gravely III - shoplifting
• Amber Nicole Hackler - possession of Oxymorphone
• Darren Wayne Hollins - attempting to obtain drugs by false pretenses
• Charlie Wayne Howard - possession of meth
• Anna L. Hurd - bad check
• Melissa Gwynn Ibarra - possession of meth; possession of precursors to manufacture meth; manufacture of meth; conspiracy to violate the drug control act; distribution of 227 grams or more of a meth mixture
• Joseph Ray Jones - abuse and neglect of a child
• Johnathon Dale Maddy - possession of marijuana with intent to distribute; conspiracy to violate drug control act
• Telly Savales Mason - obtaining money by false pretense, third or subsequent offense (two counts); obtaining money by false pretenses
• Daniel Stuart Moser - driving under the influence of alcohol, third offense in 10 years
• Douglas Rodrigue Munguia - possession of cocaine, a schedule II drug
• Linda Marie Musick - petit larceny, third offense
• Katelyn D. Nester - abuse and neglect of a child
• Charles E. Ogle - driving under the influence, third offense in 10 years
• Larry Edward Patton - statutory burglary from a storage building at Crowders Quarry; grand larceny
• Krista Renee Peaks - shoplifting, third offense
• Delmus Kenneth Pudder - possession of marijuana with intent to distribute ; conspiracy to violate the drug control act
• Ronald Wayne Ramey - driving under the influence, third offense in 10 years
• Thomas James Read - manufacture of marijuana; possession of a firearm while possessing marijuana
• Michael Raphael Shannon - arson of a home belonging to Katherine Vickers on May 1, 2012.
• Larry Robert Steffenhagen III, shoplifting, third offense
• Amanda Marie Thomas - abuse and neglect of a child
• Javier Steven Torres - eluding a law enforcement officer
• Pennie Michelle Triplett - abuse and neglect of a child
• Casey Lynne Carico - obtaining money by false pretenses
• Autumn Edwards - forgery and conspiracy to commit uttering
• Kevin James Goin - possession of cocaine and possession of Oxycodone
• Faron Gayle Hodge - conspiracy to commit forgery; uttering
• Timothy Allen Laffoon - conspiracy to commit forgery; uttering
• Ronald Eugene Lanier - grand larceny of a 1996 Ford Tempo belonging to Jackie Dale Maines
• Bradley Kemper Lundy - forgery and uttering
• James A. Martin - involuntary manslaughter for the killing of Mark Brostek, July 7
• Naomi Deletta Michelle McKinney - obtaining money by false pretenses
• Krista Renee Peaks - forgery; conspiracy to commit uttering
• Richard E. Pearce - taking indecent liberties with a child under the age of 15 (five counts)