- Special Sections
- Public Notices
HILLSVILLE — The Carroll County Fair kicks off Wednesday with exhibits, music, contests and a corn maze at the Southwest Virginia Farmers Market.
The corn maze is on top of the hill across from the fairgrounds. Organizers will provide transportation the four-tenths of a mile up the hill to the corn maze and back. The maze will open at 5 p.m. daily.
Other fair activities include:
• music Wednesday night from Blue Ridge Gospel at 6 p.m. and Blue Ridge Country at 7 p.m.
• a horse shoe tournament Wednesday through Saturday.
• a bench show and treeing contest with master of hounds Marty Dalton, sponsored by the Carroll County Coon Club, with sign-in time beginning 5:45 p.m. on Thursday.
• Farm Bureau Young Farmers Ag Day for fifth grade students in Carroll County on Friday.
• Ag Education Days for second and third grades to introduce students to local agriculture from today through Thursday.
• livestock shows — Youth Dairy and Beef Cattle on Wednesday; Youth Meat Goat and Youth Dairy Goad Shows, Open Dairy Goat Show, Goat Milking Contest and Obstacle Course on Friday; Youth Market Lamb Show and Commercial Ewe Show on Saturday.
• pet show Saturday with classes for best costume, cleanest, prettiest, largest, smallest, most unusual, best trick and pet that looks most like exhibitor.
• lawn mower races, Friday at 7 p.m.
• Miss Carroll County Fair, Thursday at 7 p.m.
• horse pull, Saturday at 7 p.m.
• music on Saturday, including Blue Ridge Gospel at 11 a.m., Never Fret at noon, Fancy Gap Mountain Band at 1 p.m. and Blue Ridge Country at 2 p.m.
• gospel music Sunday starting at 2 p.m. featuring Saved by Grace, Hillsville Pentecostal Holiness Church Choir and The Cox Brothers and Family.
There will also be storytelling by Vicky Town, chainsaw carving demonstrations by Brad Carico, a horse show, recipe contest, exhibits, barnyard, music and more staple fair events.
There will be only one fee at the gate in order to get in. Wednesday is half-price day, when those age 11 and older get in for $5 and those a 10 and younger get in free. Thursday through Sunday, the entry fee for those 11 and older is $10. Children 10 and younger still get in free.
The fairgrounds are at the Southwest Virginia Farmers Market, off Interstate 77's Exit 14. For more information, go to www.carrollcountyvafair.org.