Armed robbery suspect arrested — twice

-A A +A

After a magistrate initially refused to issue felony warrants, police had to find and arrest the suspect again.

By Staff Reports

Police arrested an armed robbery suspect twice for the same crime this week, after the sheriff’s department was unable to get felony warrants placed against him the first time.
Hunter Wayne Dixon, 18, of Grammar Lane in Galax, is now in custody again, and charged with armed robbery and possession of a firearm while in commission of a felony, for allegedly pulling a gun on a teenager in a Dec. 31 incident.
According to Grayson County Sheriff Richard Vaughan, county deputies responded to 58 Apartments in Baywood for a report of an armed robbery of a person. Officers from the City of Galax, Virginia State Police, and Carroll County also responded.


“A 16-year-old juvenile reported that he was supposed to meet Hunter Dixon behind the store,” Vaughan said. “The juvenile reported that Dixon pointed a handgun at him and demanded money.”
The victim told police that he handed over $90 in cash, and then Dixon fled the scene on foot.
“Dixon was located near 58 Grocery [in Baywood] approximately 41 minutes after the call was received,” Vaughan said.
Dixon was transported to the Grayson County Sheriff’s Office, where Investigator Todd Perkins testified in a probable cause hearing to a magistrate from Montgomery County via the video system.
However, Vaughan said the magistrate denied the request for felony warrants and Dixon was released.
The sheriff appealed the magistrate’s decision to the Magistrate’s Regional Supervisor William Walman. A second probable cause hearing was held on Wednesday and warrants were issued.
So, police had to find Dixon again on Wednesday.
While Grayson County deputies were attempting to locate Dixon at his residence on Grammar Lane Wednesday afternoon, they learned from family members that Dixon was at the Walmart shopping center in Galax, Vaughan said. Grayson investigators contacted the Galax Police Department and asked them to be on the lookout for Dixon.
Galax officers observed Dixon at the shopping center and attempted to apprehend him.
“Dixon fled on foot, and was apprehended after a short foot pursuit,” Vaughan said.
Dixon was also charged with resisting arrest.
He is being held without bond in the New River Valley Regional Jail in Dublin.