Anders to serve 5 years for deputy assault

-A A +A
By Staff Reports

INDEPENDENCE — Randy Lee Anders was found guilty and sentenced to five years in prison after a two-day jury trial last week in Grayson County Circuit Court.

Anders, 33, faced two charges of assaulting police officers during an incident in April 2013 that resulted in Grayson deputies shooting him four times. Officers said that he pulled a gun on them and resisted arrest.

After an unsuccessful attempt a plea agreement earlier this year, a jury trial was set for July 24-25 in Independence.

Jury selection took most of the first morning, with the first witness called to the stand in the early afternoon.

Anders was represented by Independence attorney Jonathon Venzie.

Grayson Sheriff Richard Vaughan testified that Dean Anders, the defendant’s father, called him a month prior to the shooting to tell Vaughan that his son “had told him that he was not going back to jail.”

At the time, Anders was wanted on a fugitive warrant for a probation violation.

“Dean also stated that Randy had an old shotgun and was afraid that Randy may try to shoot one of our deputies,” Vaughan said. “We immediately provided the officer safety information to surrounding jurisdictions and to the media.”

The day of the shooting, Vaughan said Dean Anders called him and told the sheriff that Randy Anders “had just left Dean’s residence walking on Grassy Creek Road.”

Vaughan relayed that information to his deputies, who responded to the Grassy Creek area. They found Randy Anders hiding in the basement of a neighbor’s house.

Deputies said Anders pulled a gun on them when they tried to arrest him, and they shot Anders four times.

The Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigations (BCI) from the Wytheville Field Office investigated the shooting and filed charges against Anders.

After recovering from surgery, Anders was held as a prisoner at the New River Valley Regional Jail in Dublin until trial.

The defense finished presenting its case around 6 p.m. last Thursday.

Beginning Friday morning, the jury deliberated for nearly seven hours before returning guilty verdicts. Anders was sentenced to five years in prison.

Anders was previously convicted of two counts of brandishing a firearm and one count of obstruction of justice. He was sentenced to one year in jail on each of those three misdemeanor charges.